In Hobart, there are on average 744 individuals who experience homelessness each year. By definition, this means 744 people who are living in boarding housing, supported accommodation, with friends and relatives, or in improvised dwellings or on the streets. As a result, Hobart City Mission understands the immediate need for Housing Support in Southern Tasmania.
Our Housing Support services provide assistance to those who are homeless or are at risk of homelessness, through Housing Connect.
Housing Connect assists people to secure public and community housing, private rental assistance, emergency accommodation and support services for Tasmanians. Housing Connect offers clients one access point for housing and support needs.
To contact Housing Connect to find out more about our Housing Support services or to apply, call 1800 800 588.
Hobart City Mission also provides supported accommodation services through the following programs:
- Small Steps (young women under 25 years with young children)
- DIY Dads (single fathers with children)
Unfortunately, Hobart City Mission does not operate immediate emergency accommodation services. To find immediate emergency accommodation, please contact one of the services listed on the Shelter TAS website
HCM operates the Integrated Family Support Services (IFSS), which provides in-home family support, for eligible families with children aged 0-18yrs, to assist vulnerable children, young people and families with a tailored approach to meeting individual and family needs.
IFSS also assists families with unborn children to obtain support, prior to the birth of a child.
IFSS aims to:
- Ensure safety and development for children
- Collaborate with parents to provide the needs of the children
- Provide case management and coordination services
- Aid existing community connections and supports
- Work in partnership with community-based Child Protection workers if the serious need arises
- Facilitate active engagement with families through outreach services
Hobart City Mission is an alliance partner with Baptcare and Mission Australia’s Gateway services, a single entry point to all family and disability services in Tasmania.