Our Christmas Assistance Program ran again in December 2020, despite the difficulties faced due to the COVID-19 crisis. With the support of the community, we were able to provid food packs, food vouchers and toys to families struggling to make ends meet.
Over 780 families received Christmas Assistance, thanks to your very generous toy donations and financial support. That’s over 1,300 children who received a toy this Christmas, who may have otherwise missed out.
The Christmas Assistance Program ran over four days, instead of the usual two, to ensure we could provide gifts and other support in a COVID safe way. We utilised space in the new Moonah City Mission Op Shop and received lots of positive feedback from recipients about the new location.
Many recipients said that that they had never needed help until this year. One family mentioned that their rent had increased by over $100 per week. Others said that they lost their jobs through the COVID-19 crisis, which meant they couldn’t provide a Christmas for their children.
Your donations to this year’s Christmas Appeal have helped give these children a normal Christmas, despite a year of hardship and adversity. Thank you for spreading light and love to families doing it tough over the Christmas period.
Here are some more comments from our very grateful recipients of Christmas Assistance in 2020:
- What a beautiful thing for people in need. I’ve never found myself in a position where I’ve needed help but I’m so grateful for this service, I cannot thank you all enough. Merry Christmas
- Thank you so much for everything. Without your assistance Christmas would have been a lot harder
- Thank you for your help. We have never had to ask before, and we didn’t feel judged at all. I am very appreciative of your help.
- Lovely friendly, non-judgemental service. Never had to use this before – as a Christian who volunteers with food bank and community care. To know there are other services out there who can help makes my heart feel full and want to help others more. A big thank you – Merry Christmas all
- Everyone was friendly and understanding. I didn’t want my three boys to miss out on Christmas again and I was really impressed with the choice of presents.
- Very grateful! The best Christmas in a long while. Thank you so much from a carer, grandmother, and mother. Love the toys and presents. Very appreciative particularly as it’s sometimes hard to ask for help.
More News from Hobart City Mission...
The University of Tasmania and Tasmanian Institute of Law Enforcement Studies (TILES) “Evaluation of Safe Spaces” final report has been